Saturday, October 13, 2012

That Mabon Story I Mentioned...

So I mentioned our Mabon celebration in my first post.

The hubs and I picked up this really cool urn-style fire pit at Lowes the day of the Autumn Equinox so that we would have someplace warm to sit when we did our ritual.

We placed the urn between our out building and raised deck, thinking this would keep our little group out of sight of prying neighbor eyes.


Our Portable Pit :)
Let me take a moment to introduce you to my neighbors. On the out building side we have an older couple who are very conservative. On the other side we have some rowdy renters who LOVE to party, and party loudly. And a lot. You know the type...three a.m. and they're still carrying on most weekend nights.

So on the evening of the 22nd, I’d invited some of my more spiritual friends over for a Mabon ritual, you know…outdoors, with tea lights marking the circle, the portable fire pit in the middle, a portable altar and goodies facing the north quarter, etc.

We cracked a bottle (ok, two) of mead, had beans simmering on the stove and cornbread about to go into the oven for later, sat around on the deck until it started to get dark, and noticed that the loud neighbors were starting to have their people arrive.

I started lighting the tea candles, which consistently blew out given the breeze that evening, but did manage to keep the altar candles burning. We then got started.

Apparently, we weren’t quiet enough to not draw any attention to ourselves, because the loud neighbors stopped all of their own party preparations to stand on their deck and stare to see what they could see. At one point, they all became a little slack-jawed, which was funny, because I had never heard them so quiet before. That in itself was totally worth the price of admission.

After we finished and all ate supper, my friends hit the road to get back to their homes at a decent hour. At this point, the party next door was going full swing. And loudly, at that. I figured that we were in for another evening of screaming, hooting, 808 thumping, etc. until 2 or 3 in the morning. I was actually surprised to hear nothing after midnight.

Perhaps we scared them a little? Perhaps they were simply ready to retire at a decent hour? I don’t know. What I DO know, however, is that I actually slept like the dead that night, which is unusual for nights they party.

Things stayed quiet for a couple of weeks, and then, last night cranked back up again, and apparently went on till well after three. I have had the crud for the better part of the week and ended up taking some nighttime cold and flu medicine, and went down for the count sometime after one o’clock this morning. The hubs fell asleep on the couch and woke up around three. He went out on the back deck to smoke, while the party was still in full swing, but when they heard him out back, he said the volume did decrease across the fence.

Would it be wrong to fashion a pentacle out of a wire coat hanger or two, hang it on the outside of the privacy fence facing their yard, and maybe use some red dyed Karo syrup strategically to get their attention? I’m thinking probably so. I never claimed to not have a sense of humor. 

I whipped up a batch of hot foot powder a few weeks back for another situation I was dealing with, and thought if I could just get over there when nobody is home, I could sprinkle some around their doors. Of course, the hubs is discouraging me from even attempting that, because given my luck, someone would pull into the driveway and catch me red-handed. They’re renting, so it’s not like it would take an act of congress for them to leave. ;)

Your thoughts?

Brightest Blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment